Tuesday, January 20, 2009

sometimes...

we just need to put ourselves out there.

i am bad at hip hop. i mean...my body was just not built to move like some folks. so, i decided to take a free hip hop class, offered by nami lofland -- who is a ball of energy and passionate about dance.

let me tell you, i suck at choreography so trying to memorize a routine where i have to move my body in unfamiliar ways is just embarrassing. (and i did mention that i'm bad at hip hop, right?) i think i tend to look like a stiff board trying to pop it and lock it and rock it and sha-bop it, but i just don't got what bon qui qui got (at the end of the clip).

but, what i learned in doing something i'm bad at was this:
1. it's vital to be able to laugh at ourselves
2. it helps us to either become humble or remain humble
3. it challenges us to still give it our best, even if our best sucks
4. it provides opportunity to appreciate others' gifts and talents
5. it creates a sense of openness to learn

so, with that....um. yeah. uhhh.. .. . i want to share a little video clip of me. .... dancing! (i'm squirming right now). it's just a little sharing of a little me doing a little something that's helped bring me more awareness. by all means, this is not anything to show off. (i didn't even know it was being recorded!)

i'm sharing this so that TODAY, maybe you'd be inspired to:
*do something unexpected or out of your norm;
*do something that you're really bad at, and that you'd laugh at yourself while doing it;
*appreciate someone around you for their talent and go up them and tell them with a BIG smile
*"unlock [your] body and move [your]self to dance" (thanks wilco)

7 comments:

  1. You are so great! Actually I thought you did rather well but I'm no dancer myself. Courageous experimentation! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go liz!! i'm a slightly strong beliver that you should do something everyday that scares you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did good! like anything, just requires practice. if it brings you joy, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely challenged by you! I am such a perfectionist that it's hard to do something I don't think I'm good at. Go Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you liz.
    i am doing something out of my norm.
    wish me luck on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that was delightful liz. i love that you blog about things like this, i'm gonna try doing something out of the ordinary tomorrow- your moves definitely inspired me! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. :-) Thanks for all of the encouragement....you all are so gracious, open, and delightful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...